Day 12

Hi everyone, darn it, just got some disappointing news about a family member's diagnosis.  so I'm bummed right now.  I guess I was counting on better news.  Here's what I ate today:


brekky:  sugar snap peas, beans and greens.  I was in the mood for beans and greens after a hard workout.  I was already a weakling before I broke my elbow last winter, but I am even more so now.  But I'm happy to be doing something about it.  I harvested a ton of collards from the garden since I'll be gone for a few weeks.  I froze a bunch and used the rest in my beans and greens.  For the beans and greens, I cooked up the collards, an onion, and eggplant from the garden, some basil, then added a serving of beans and grains from the freezer (thawed in the microwave), a can of (garden) tomatoes and some no-salt seasoning.  Really good.   here's the collards:
smashed down into ziplock bags for freezing:


Lunch:  I hit a home run with this salad I invented the other day.  wowsa.  Today's was even better.  kale, chopped and massaged (in my hands), marinated in really expensive balsamic vinegar (and boy is it good--I'm still having fun taste testing vinegars, got a few new bottles today), add cabbage, yellow summer squash, red bell pepper (these are just what's local and in season right now), and the part that makes it really really good:  fresh ripe local peach and fresh ripe local pear.  YUMMMMMMMM.   Had that with my last 1.5 ears of sweet corn for 2011.  I savored every bite.

Dinner:  the rest of the beans and greens.  the rest of the salad.  a bowl of frozen mango (didn't need it, but wanted it and it was good).  One more chore to do, harvest the basil leaves and freeze like the collards:

Okay, the garden can grow back while I'm gone and I'll be ready to eat more fresh kale and collards when I get back.

Total calories:  1626, protein 65 g (12%), fat 12 g (6%), carbs 351 g (82%), fiber 87 g.   

Forgot my nuts and seeds again, oops.  I had more calories than usual which was a surprise.  I was thinking it was fairly low-calorie food but I did eat a lot of it.  I could have held off on that second serving of beans and greens at dinner.  oh well, no big deal I don't feel overfull.  Notice the higher percentage of protein compared to yesterday when I had more fruit.